Saturday. No children young enough to want to color Easter Eggs. I kinda of miss that, but I've got too many grownup things to think abut anyway. So I took the bluish azure egg that's been in the refrigerator for four years and put it next to the pansies in the planter by the front walk. Just a little reminder of times past. When I was little and we lived on Montgomery Drive, I remember discovering an ancient spoiled egg that had been missed during some previous Easter morning hunt. It was on the upper rail of the Stevenson's fence hidden by laurel branches. It was gray. And noxious.
The sun is shining this morning and the little chart in the paper says it will be in the 80s....today and tomorrow. Ah it's great to live in the new California. I'm working on my tan already.....and the winter watermarks around my ankles might be faded by May.
Watched the Italian Job last night. By mistake we'd gotten the original from Netflix. But a fortuitous mistake. Michael Caine and Noel Coward and Benny Hill in a late 60s romp with great car chase scenes and a loony ending. It was a shock that the computer driven traffic control system in the new movie was one of the things they really did carry forward from the original! But what computers! And the thieves had to smuggle in a big magnetic tape reel......Benny Hill is the lascivious computer geek.
Speaking of Easter eggs. I was reminded by a friend the other day that the way chickens are raised for 'food' is barbaric. Not to mention cattle! If anyone treated their pet animal the way that commercial food producers treat cows and chickens, they'd be on the front page of the paper and in jail. I renew my vow to eat little beef and chicken and definitely not to buy the commercially grown stuff. This is yet another highlight of Americans self-indulgent schizophrenic approach to life. We are wonderful at ignoring contradictions that make us uncomfortable or would require us to change.
Along those lines I can't resist the observation that shutting down Al Sadr's newspaper in Iraq by force because it was saying inflammatory things is a really great way to teach the Iraqis that we indeed mean to help them to a Western style democracy.....ahhh but the day is too beautiful to slip into that vein. I am too sad and frustrated when I think of it. One of my coworkers showed me pictures of her son this week- he's in PsyOps at Bagram airbase outside of Baghdad. He goes out 'on missions' she says that he can't talk about. I pray for her and for him and for all the others. We can't walk away from the situation we've created. I pray the price isn't too dear.

Comments

Popular Posts