Headlines late this morning announce that an 'arrest warrant' has been issued for Muqtada al-Sadr following yesterday's fighting in four cities in Iraq. At the same time, US forces are 'sealing off' Falujah after the gruesome murder of four American 'contractors' last week. My almanac online suggests Falujah has about 250,000 people.

I am reminded that- last year when the war started- I wrote that it wasn't the military outcome of toppling Sadaam that was worrisome, but what happened afterwards. We are in the middle of afterwards. I watch this with prayers for peace but an deeply unsettled feeling in my soul. Palestine has been under the thumb of a military power for decades and continues to fester. Those who have little but stones and ak47s haven't submitted to those who have tanks and missiles and Apache helicopters. And the civil progress of the area is choked by the stalemate. And people continue to die. I think we are at a very dangerous moment. Of course, I'm no expert.

Comments

Popular Posts