The spring weather is holding. Today the gusty winds have died down, the high overcast is gone, and the sun is really 'warming'. I've accomplished a small number of tasks- besides reading the Sunday paper with my honey and having some coffee. A blessed day for certain.
Business section of the paper this morning is highlighting the resurgence in demand for computer chips but noting as well that there hasn't been an increase in job growth to go with it. Does this story sound familiar? It's headline news across the country in industry after industry.
Okay, so what I'm feeling cranked about is the idea that my likely presidential candidate, John Kerry, is stumping on the platform of 'returning jobs' to American workers. Why am I skeptical? The stats show that manufacturing jobs in the States have been going away since the Eighties- it's not new news. And it's not just NAFTA. It's a more complex reality. And no administration is going to change the business climate so that jobs stay here as a matter of principle. We no longer have "American" businesses the way we used to. And corporations will close down plants and not produce before they'll produce outside the market. I know that there are products that can be produced here- high end, high quality, specialty products which we can grow. But production of raw steel or similar things isn't going to go in a different direction 'cause the gummint says so'- and it's disappointing to hear people floating that idea.
OK. So I was intrigued by a different approach I heard the other day. What about giving many of those out of work workers 'gummint jobs'- not in office buildings but out rebuilding and strengthening the infrastructure of America- the stuff that lets business succeed. The stuff we've been neglecting for decades. How about a new WPA- and it would have to be funded without causing an inflationary spiral which means taxes. But it could be sold to workers 'cause it creates real products and gets people employed and buying products again. And it could be sold to business 'cause it gets more people back in the consumer cycle and improves things that businesses need to succeed. Would retooling our highways and bridges for 21st century transportation systems- like computer guided vehicles- be a bad idea? I think it's worth a shot. And I think it could be a lot more galvanizing than 'bring back your steel mill job'.
I can't help myself sometimes....I know it's too nice a day to sit inside and rant at the computer, but I have this weakness. Seems to me so much of what I hear doesn't make sense. Stop Making Sense! That wasn't what the song was about.
Last night we went to see Hidalgo. I expected a good, rollicking, Indiana Jones sort of yarn, but I think it's a much better movie than that. I was really impressed to find that the story is based on the true life of Frank Hopkins. Wow! There's a frank hopkins website too. http://frankhopkins.com. Haven't had time to really read it, but will do. Mar's decided that Vigo Mortenson is her new Robert Redford....ah well. Let her fantasize. I could have made that ride....not.
gotta go.

Comments

Popular Posts