Nasty web links hidden in google! Scareware on Google

Just about anyone with a PC is familiar with the link or website which reveals a popup window announcing that "Your PC is infected with Spyware" while an alarming screen begins to show a list of horrible looking software files identified as infectious.   Then another window pops up offering to download "virus protection" software which will eliminate those bugs...the download, of course,  being the malware itself which the user has been tricked into installing.  Trying to cancel or get out of the trap can require rebooting sometimes.  The scam isn't new but it still works on people and to users like mothers and mothers-in-law can create a sense of terror. My mother recently was hit by one of these on her Dell.  She wisely did nothing until I got there and all was well.   As a Mac user I've been interested to find links that open such scareware sites which run showing a classic PC screen and even on my Mac don't easily allow me to get out.  But what is really new and aggravating to me is where these things are showing up.   I have Google alerts set for a variety of topics which show up in my mailbox daily.  In looking at a list of citations recently I discovered that one of them was a link to a malware site masquerading under a url with my search term in it.  A week later, my mother-in-law on her Mac mini clicked on the first Google selection for "free online solitaire" and found herself in the middle of a scareware episode.  I actually tried this link several times and it appeared to be an entirely different, legitimate site until clicked on.   I guess we all know this;  the bad guys are always finding new ways to trick us.  Keep a sharp eye out--and remember you can't believe everything you read on the Web.

Comments

Popular Posts