The news? Is this the news?

I've had my expectations seriously blunted by the "News media" for many years now. Their crass materialism, emphasis on the sensational, fawning over celebrities, and self-promotion tire me. But I was slapped awake last night, just before going to sleep, when I tuned into Channel 12 Fox affiliate. There on screen was the reporter giving an update from Germany. He was talking about an expose' of the sex-trade connected to the World Cup. And I thought....with disbelief....that he was wearing a roman collar! In fact, he was wearing a roman collar. He's a priest named Fr. Johnathan Morris and is apparently a 'special correspondent'. I find myself dumbfounded. I applaud Fr. Morris for wanting to see the sex trade and exploitation of humans for that purpose stopped. That is a Christian position to take. However, I can't quite see how Fr. Morris can be positioned as a dispassionate member of the news media, reporting just the facts. Somehow I feel it cheapens his standing as a priest, turning it into just another gimmick. What next? Shall we have a Hindu correspondent in traditional garb reporting on the meatpacking industry? I turned off the tv and went to sleep. I really didn't know what else to do.

Comments

Popular Posts