The Subdudes...what genre is this?

I'm downloading a sampling of music from artists I haven't heard much and I'm listening to the Subdudes and thinking this is....? Ummmm, Alternative? No. Rock? No....R&B. Guess that's okay. There's such a lot of music and so little time. Altan.
Youssou N'Dour. Knopfler. Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Fleetwood Mac. Whew....I love this stuff. And iPod makes it so easy to hear.
We do indeed live in an age of miracles. Imagine what I'd have thought when I was a kid listening to my crystal set radio alligator clipped to the backstop on the baseball field at Strohecker's Park. The little red plastic radio shaped sort of like a rocket with an antenna knob that came out the nose...and the backstop was my "big dish" gathering in the waves while I slid the tuner back and forth. Got KISN 91Wonderful with Pat Pattee and the KISN dj's cracklin' in there and urging us to come on down and drive by the studio at 10th and Burnside. So a strange man comes up to my little kid self and says, "Kid, when you are a grown man in your fifties, you'll have a music player the size of a pack of Tareytons and it'll play with an earphone or through a stereo or through your car radio....or, uh, through a computer. Oh, never mind what's a computer. That'll come later. And this music player will hold thousands of songs, all sorted and selected so you can find them. And it'll be battery powered so you can take it with you anywhere and then recharge it by plugging it into the wall socket. Whaddya think of that, eh, kid?"
I think I woulda been scared at having a strange grownup come up and talk to me. That's what I think. And I don't know that I could have imagined what he was describing, no matter how many Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke stories I'd read.
Wow.
And it's October. 2004. A long way away from that early Sixties scene in the park.... a long way.

Comments

Popular Posts