Taking a break in the heat of the afternoon. Work is engrossing to the point that I sometimes forget to pause...not good. My computer keeps pinging with 'delivery failure' messages coming back from the Web where, I assume, someone I know has failed to protect their computer from the latest worm so that my email address is now the 'sender' source as the worm spreads itself. As a MAC user, I watch with sympathy for those infected...but amazement that folks don't protect their computers faster.
Outside the day has warmed up, close to 80 I think. But this morning was cool again. I love the time of year when the days are warm and the nights are cool. Here in our part of the world that stretch of weather has usually been late September through mid-October. Before the rains. Though the patterns I remember growing up have changed. This year there may not be rains the way they were. Of course, I'm old enough my mind could be creating a mythic past that never really was. I tell myself I've got a good memory- and there's evidence to support that. I can remember things from when I was three. I was telling my Dad the other night I remember walking over the catwalk on the cooling tank at the OakRidge Nuclear Reactor and that was when I was five. But I digress. On this Thursday afternoon in the new century, I am pausing for a moment of reflection in the frenzy of work. The afternoon is blessed, full of golden light. I am well fed. I have a late cup of coffee. And a basketful of things I want to do when five o clock rolls around.
Enough. Time to go back to the bustle.

Long pause in which hours pass and several events occur. Now it's nearly 8pm. Just got through sending a blanket email out to the guys on the soccer team. Practice and team meeting Sunday. Fall season starts first Sunday in September. It'll be our 26th? Is that right? More than enough years to etch the ritual into my genes....like when you're a kid and 'back to school' season arrives. There's the bittersweet regret that summer's almost over but there is also anticipation- new clothes, new crayons, new pencils and notebooks, and the challenges of classes never encountered before. New books to read! Well, getting ready for the soccer season isn't entirely a parallel. But I associate it with the changing weather, falling leaves, gray skies, rain and mud....all in all a glorious experience reminding me I'm alive.

I end this day with a somber undertone. The President was in town. Speaking at a $2000 a plate, exclusive luncheon. I wish he would stay on his side of the country. I think it's awful that the taxpayers bear any expense when any president travels the country raising money for his or her party or campaign. And we do. Not many people- just a few thousand- protested his presence. A man was quoted in the newspaper as saying he thought most Oregonians support the President and went to work as they should instead of protesting. I seriously considered wearing a black armband expressing my heartfelt mourning that this man is our 'leader'. I suspect others share my view. I don't think there is a resolution to the deep divide in this country- the one we politely are not talking about. This man who holds the office can never represent me nor lead the country in directions I believe are right, just, honorable. And I am sad and grim.

Enough. God granted us a beautiful day. I journey to end it with my lover and the clan of small people who share our lives.

Comments

Popular Posts