Portland Timbers: poised to go

After last Thursday's match against the Whitecaps,  I was ready to write a commentary on my team, where they seem to be now and where they are headed.   But I didn't quite get around to it (real life intrudes on blogging with no remuneration) and so I had the chance to watch  a different iteration of the side play against Puntarenas of Costa Rica.  
Before I go much further though,  I feel obliged again to ask  "Big O? Do you not think giving the Timbers more than a postage stamp of ink for Saturday's match was appropriate?  We have a professional club which can draw over 15,000 folks to the Park for a match on a good night (meaning the Blazers are not doing playoffs on TV),  a club that's invested heavily in improving its form in anticipation of going up to MLS next year,  and they don't warrant more game day coverage than a simple announcement that the game is happening?   I am, again, flummoxed.  Puntarenas played the Galaxy on their way to visit Portland and only lost by a goal.  They are sitting in second place in the Grupo B in their division.   It's not that there was nothing to be said in advance of the match.
But I digress.  Going back to the match against the 'Caps on Thursday, it was not pretty.  Everyone alludes to the 'regional rivalry' factor in talking about these games.  I admit that it's real but my impression is that the edginess doesn't make for good play.  The Timbers looked disorganized and out of sync much of the game.  Ryan Pore's early goal was excellent; I can't recall the last time that I saw a free kick set piece by the Timbers curled into the back of the net so gracefully.   It was excellent.  But I think it gave a false sense of confidence and suddenly the 'Caps were smacking a ball in the net themselves.  And the boys in green are scrambling to stay dominant in a scrappy match.  The final strike,  placed perfectly by Pore,  was exhilarating but came against the run of play. There were numerous breakdowns that could have cost the game during the stretch from Vancouver's score to Pore's rebuttal.  I'm perhaps not an accurate observer,  too caught up in the game to record things accurately.   I thought, however,  that Kirk on our back line was too casual in his play.  Lopez left his mark defensively at dangerous moments though he was fast in the counterattack.  Claesson and Farber didn't seem as effective as they were last year.  I don't see OJ  and DeMartin creating dangerous situations on the front line.   Is this all about jelling?  I don't know for sure but the issues are real.   Against Puntarenas,  I was impressed by Scot Thompson,  who almost duplicated Dike (Dee-kay)Bright's excellent goal.  Thompson is smart and experienced.  I was impressed as well when Keita took the field at the end.   The man is definitely a talent---not just a hard worker.  And his presence highlights the reality that some portion of success for a team like ours comes from instinct and talent,  not just hard work and skill.   The downside of the Puntarenas match was that we got smacked on excellent counters---one was among the prettiest volleys I've seen anywhere recently.  One was a total misjudgement by our backup keeper.  Worth noting. 
I truly hope that the coaching staff can find a mix among these skilled and gutsy players that shows our potential to the best advantage.  It's time that Rose City becomes a soccer legend.  And it's time that the Big O gave more ink to the great work that's being done to build this franchise.

Comments

Popular Posts