One more thought about the Timbers v Sounders

It was very exciting Wednesday night to have thousands of enthusiastic supporters in the stands for both teams. Atmosphere was electric. What I kept marveling at though was that the Sounders in the USL could hardly marshall a couple thousand fans a game--much less bring three or four sections worth of folks down to PGE Park. So I was struck by a sense that for a lot of these folks this was a fashionista event---a cool place for the young hip Seattleite to be seen. It was particularly odd because I noticed that they had taken all the Timbers Army chants and jiggered them about to use as Sounders' chants. When I know that there are around 10,000 folks in Rose City who have been with the Timbers through lean times and good times both and who can remember the days when Gavin Wilkinson was a hotheaded defender or even further back than that, I am truly glad to be one of us and not one of them. If Sounder fever is just 'this year's big thing', I suspect we'll see sparser crowds in years to come. Sad.

Comments

Popular Posts