Oregon's primary election

I guess there were few surprises in the election in our state last night.  The Obama campaign had found a dance partner in a majority of Oregon's democrats, and congratulations to them.  The message of change and hope resonates with our Oregon spirit.  On the Republican side,  the vote was a reminder than John McCain has his own cross to bear as nearly 15% of the potential voters chose Ron Paul, no longer a candidate, rather than the Old Soldier.   I scanned the numbers on the Secretary of State website today.  The fact that we didn't even turnout  60% of the electorate despite the powerful issues involved this year.   Apparently,  one out of three or so adult citizens are thinking that the vote on American Idol is all that's worthy of their attention.  Who's making decisions about whether their children will go off to foreign wars ranks farther down the list.  

As the political season moves toward the dog days of summer,  I am still disturbed by other things I see.   It's not Barack Obama's problem but I can't avoid believing that the observation that many Americans can't imagine a woman in the White House because she's  a woman is real.  The legs akimbo Hilary 'nutcracker' still on sale online is not funny.   And while it's not a 'Step n Fetch It' image,  it would certainly equal a 'tap dancing Barack doll' in offensive stereotyping.
Even more,  I think the "Bros before Hos" t-shirt surfaces a despicable, not ironic, undertone in the electoral environment. I thought we were beyond that.  And I was taken by surprise at the vehemence of the commentary about Hilary Clinton.  

And when all is said and done,  I want a Democrat in the White House.  We have too much at stake.   But our better natures are not brought to bear in this critical moment.  I am afraid it is the snickering from the shadows that will drive what happens.  And that cannot lead to good ends.

Comments

Popular Posts