Not so good---a gas tax holiday

I've been holding back on deciding whether to vote for Hillary or Barack in our Oregon primary.  I am moved by the nuanced qualities each of them present.  However,  I am dismayed that Sen. Clinton jumped out on the 'gas tax holiday' bandwagon.  One strength of the Democratic candidates has been their commitment to scientific decisions.  The gas tax holiday is an ephemeral program with dubious benefits.  Supporting it was not the best choice Clinton could have made, and I am somewhat mystified that she did.   On the other hand,  I am worried that Sen. Obama's wins are more heavily in states where Republicans and Independents can switch parties and vote.   Did those folks vote cynically to promote the candidate they thought would be most easily defeated in November?   The closed primary has its merits.    I fear a general election in which the Democratic standard bearer is being 'swiftboated' and loses the 'rank and file' blue collar voters who switched allegiance to the Republicans in the Reagan years.  This isn't so much about 'posture' as it is about winning.  
We'll see.

Comments

Popular Posts