The unknowable element of movies

We just finished watching Snowcake,  a relatively unknown film with Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, and Carrie-Ann Moss.  Reviews are available elsewhere on the internet, so I won't jump in here.  However, this film exemplifies the problem with the world of movies.   Sigourney Weaver plays an autistic adult whose daughter has been killed in a tragic accident.  Think you won't like it because it's maudlin?  Or preachy?  There's more here in respectful depictions of a whole range of characters from a waitress who's not willing to be messed with, to a truckdriver paralyzed until he can make atonement, to parents who have worked to be true parents in the face of substantial challenges.  Snowcake was probably the best movie we've seen in the past year if not longer.   Why wouldn't these performances garner industry accolades? I don't know, you tell me.   I have always held Local Hero as my favorite movie of all time.   Snowcake ranks up there.

Comments

Unknown said…
I need to go back and watch Local Hero again as an adult. I never understood what was so great about it as a kid, but I wonder if I might get it more now.

Popular Posts