Getting rid of those defamatory team titles...

I heard a discussion last week about further deliberation over the use of Native American names for sports teams in Oregon High Schools. I can't help it, but I always find myself thinking that I may be missing an opportunity for outrage. The "Fighting" Irish, Gaels, and Celtics certainly put my ancestors up on the block. The first, in particular, carries forward the stereotype of the pugnacious (probably drunk) Irishman.
I can understand being upset because someone has a team tagged as "Savages" with an Indian image. That is perjorative. I guess they could change the image to a scowling Jackeen just off the boat from the "Ould Country". That's what a lot of people called us times past- savages. And I'd take exception too. But if the names are the Cleveland Indians or the Boston Celtics, I'm hard-pressed to take umbrage.

Comments

Popular Posts