Why I don't watch much television

The biggest reason I don't watch much television is really that I feel pressed for enough time to do the things I really want to do, and little on television seems worth the tradeoff. However, the other reason I don't watch much television was reinforced the other night when I actually did watch a smattering of a "popular Emmy award-winning show". The show is called "Two and a half Men" and stars Charlie Sheen, a pretty likeable actor. I don't really know much about the back story on the show, but here's what I gleaned from the short time I watched. There are two adult men in the same household. Somewhere I suspect there's another half a man but I didn't see him or it. There's also a burly female housekeeper and an older and very seductive woman. Charlie, as one of the men, is apparently the owner of the house and so apparently has money and a career. However, he isn't smart enough to tell the difference between a washing machine and a dryer or to read the labels on containers so that he can tell which is detergent. The other guy has to help him. This 'I'm stupid' routine occupied a fair amount of the time I was watching accompanied by a laugh track. The other big theme was that Charlie was lying to both the housekeeper and the older woman about his intentiion to get rid of the other person. The promise of sex from the latter and of not having to interpret his laundry equipment from the former was the 'motive'. So this guy's ability to deal with people honestly and to sort out important parts of his life was so non-existent that it was the joke. In my world, people like this are generally known for their behavior and avoided like the plague. The close of the episode was that the two men went to a Sex Addicts Anonymous sort of meeting. Oh yeah, did I mention the other guy was running around crazed about sexual opportunity as well? What a pair!
So the end result was the last scene in which Charlie is ogling a buxom brunette at the SAA meeting.....ha.ha.ha...

I guess humor works for me when it's smarter than that. John Cleese in Fawlty Towers is a stupid, self-absorbed, officious....so and so. He's funny because everyone in the show recognizes that reality. They don't mistake him for a nice, effective guy. I watched Charlie Sheen and thought....He's too stupid to find his way around but he's supposed to have a successful redeeming side. Hmmmm....not a match. So I am moved to ask myself why people think this is Emmy material?
Why do people watch this? The only reason I could think of is that a lot of folks must enjoy watching the adventures of someone who's patently more stupid than they are. That's pretty amazing to me. But maybe it's true.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just so you know...the "Half" is the kid they're raising.

Popular Posts