Ruminating on how God created Humanity

An AP article in the Science section of the paper on 8-17 noted that genetic scientists believe they have identified a key gene that "helped the human brain evolve from our chimplike ancestors". That one area of the human genome apparently evolved about 70 times faster that the rest of our genetic code. It appears to have a role in a rapid "tripling of the size of the brain's crucial cerebral cortex". Researches found a gene that didn't exist until 300 million years back and is present only in birds and mammals, and further is only minutely different in chimps and chickens. But in astonishing contrast, there are 18 differences in that gene between humans and chimps, all of which appear to have occurred on the human side. Another scientist was quoted as saying that "if true, the change in genes would be fastest and most dramatic in humans....so fast he has a hard time believing it unless something unusual happened in a mutation." I find myself reading this and imagining how easy and logical it might be that we are looking here at the fingerprint of , a moment when a change toward the human was ignited in a tiny way, not disordering the course of universal mechanics in the least. Is there a necessary disconnect between Divine direction and the structures of science? Don't think so? Is this "Intelligent Design"? No. What I'm proposing is a non-scientific hypothesis. Faith is required to believe that this might indeed be the way that things happened, it's not subject to 'proof'. I much like the idea, however.

As I sit in the warmth of Saturday afternoon and peck away at my keyboard. I imagine back a distance in time I can hardly get my arms around to a moment when a change of the most minute sort took place, probably in an instant, and the course of our lives was changed in a way that magnifies as we march forward in time. I like it.

Comments

Popular Posts