As "corny" as it might seem....

"According to the U.S. Department of Energy, it takes the equivalent of three barrels of oil to create four barrels of corn-based ethanol. Couple that with the fact that ethanol gets lower miles per gallon than gasoline..."

As with so many other things in life, the ethanol promise isn't about the holy grail of energy solutions in and of itself. I'd heard people refer to the oil challenge inherent in corn based ethanol production. I didn't realize how little the net gain might be.

Ethanol from plants that don't require vast amounts of petroleum based fertilizers or cultivation can be of great benefit. Ethanol from corn seems to me almost like urging people to increase the number of times they drive their SUVs to the Burger DriveIn so that there's more used cooking oil to make ethanol from.....

Clearly not a good idea. OK OK I know I wrote a similar post in April.....

Comments

Popular Posts