What I Thought While Going to Coos Bay

Going south in the sticky heat of that May afternoon
I could see the tumbled form of a thunderhead pile up
Over the green slopes and hollows of the Cascades foothills.
As the century of miles to Eugene passed I pointed out to you again
The two hills and silhouetted white barn
I've been struggling to paint even though you weren't there.
After Eugene I got confused about the cutoff to Reedsport
And ended up next to a white pioneer church
Under green trees in Cottage Grove
And laughed as I sought my course on the Oregon map
Thinking it was the kind of side adventure
You and I always seem to find, never irritated by the unexpected
And making that particular moment into our story of life.
I am not the kind of man who rides off into sunsets or
Sets out alone on open roads without knowing
My heart's anchor point and feeling your real presence
Even when you aren't present.
Glad that I had seen a small slice of this off-road town,
I folded up the map and said "Let's try that again."

5/22/06

Comments

Popular Posts