Ghosts of Celilo is one of the best pieces of theater

that we've seen in years. Last night, Marv Ross and his crew presented a dramatic reading and original music from the work, Ghosts of Celilo, under the auspices of the Broadway Rose Theater Company. Marv, famous as the leader of the Trail Band and also known for his work with wife, Rindy, in Quarterflash years ago, has created a sterling dramatic experience poignantly illuminating the human and natural tragedies associated with the building of dams on the Columbia and the drowning of Celilo Falls and a way of life.

I had tears in my eyes- both marveling at the moments of magic and touched deeply by the unfolding human stories. There are songs in this work that blend native words and rhythms with contemporary sounds. I found myself thinking of Jim Pepper or Robbie Robertson except that I think this work is much more personal and really really good. The characters of Chokie Jim and Train and Mary won my heart. And the other characters resonate as well. I can't wait to see the real production hit the stage- with costumes and a full cast. I have faith that will happen, but not without enthusiasm in the surrounding community and a lot of money and resources.

Marv, of course, had the help of many many wonderful folks in writing, plotting, and creating music for this piece. Looking over the program list of participants, I was struck by names that I knew. Particularly, I was pleased to read my friend, Tom Hampson's name. Tom is a writer and storyteller whose voice hasn't yet come to the surface of the great literary ocean.

It's truly a privilege to be invited to be part of this kind of unforgettable creative endeavour. To hear the story of Celilo in the authentic and heartfelt voices of these dozen people whose lives were anchored in it.

At some level, all I can say is "Wow!" For more info visit http://www.rossproductions.com/

Comments

Popular Posts