Hip Hop Ceasefire? Holy Cow! Great Article...

I don't always agree with Leonard Pitts, Jr. but I admire his 'tell it like it is' writing. His latest column, "Of Stereotypes and Rap" (Miami Herald)is really thought-provoking. I'm not a close follower of the hip hop scene so I'd missed the truce declaration between 50 Cent and the Game....people I'm sure my fifteen year old could define for me. Pitts makes the point that he has mixed feelings in trying to see this as wonderful although it ended a disagreement between entourages that apparently turned into a gunbattle in February. But, as he eloquently states, he keeps trying to imagine this in the context of "...people loyal to Al Green shooting it out with those loyal to Marvin Gaye." And he wonders whether this is what so many black cultural leaders of the past century sacrificed and fought for? The rise of a class of cultural talents whose style is rooted in 'gangsta' behavior and trappings.
And his work stirred me to a couple of my own thoughts. No matter their acknowledged talent, it seems particularly sad and self-absorbed for these people to be playing out lifestyles that seem like a cross between Montagues and Capulets without the great love story. And while they pose as 'tough tattooed badass rich guys' the young people who emulate them are effectively putting a big "X" on their chests in terms of the likelihood that they will have a good income, a decent place to go home to every night, and security and happiness for their families. Still aren't big corporations hiring people with lotsa tats and attitude. And I'm not sure I've thought through all the connections his article evokes, but I truly appreciate that he's put perspective that makes sense on a phenomenon I had just ignored.

Comments

Popular Posts