Christmas Eve. I had to go to work today- for awhile. But first this morning I went to the health club and did my routine. There was another member wearing a large print Bush-Cheney shirt....which reminded me of an email I'd gotten earlier this week from an acquaintance. The email was a badly rhymed parody of The Night before Christmas recounting the capture of Saddam and bashing all the Democratic candidates in vulgar terms as cowards, idiots, fifth columnists, etc. Though those polite terms weren't used. And a journal I subscribe to arrived this month with a very nasty extended joke about the Clintons. I find myself astonished at the hateful, self-righteous character of 'political posturing'. I know that people who agree with me about policy issues can be just as nasty but I get particularly irate at the 'holier than thou' positions I hear. So as I was driving to work, I was muddling over this, and suddenly realized that we are all talking here about a country whose Founders included men who had sex with young slave girls, got them pregnant, and never acknowledged their children. At some level, having sex with an enslaved person has to be seen as a form of rape since they really can't say 'no'. I find it pretty amazing that people are still so outraged over Bill Clinton's less than moral behavior. Unless, of course, we're going to slap Thomas Jefferson with the same kind of outrage. OK. It's Christmas Eve and not the time to rant.

Pause....

I have dozens of family members, a wonderful partner, hundreds of friends. My children are extaordinary. I am in pretty good health. I have a house and a job. I live in the United States and specifically in the most wonderful corner of the country- Oregon. I am reasonably bright and able to turn my enquiring mind out to the world and universe. I live at the beginning of the twney first century when things are happening which other humans have only dreamt of. What more could I want? Merry Christmas! I hope everyone who reads this feels as rich as I do.

Comments

Popular Posts