Creeping typos

I believe that typographical errors are creeping into print in ever greater number.  I seem to see at least one error a day,  particularly in online columns.   Usually the error involves use of a word that's incorrect,  a homonym for example, or the transposition of two intended words or the inclusion of an unintended word.  For example,  double 'the' seems to show up often.  Irritating barriers to reading but not adding confusion to meaning. 


This past week I was reading an Oregonian newspaper article about commemoration of the Battle of Midway.  Halfway in,  I crashed into a typo that did add confusion to the meaning.   "On Monday," the article read, "...current Pacific Fleet commander, Admiral Cecil Haney...flew 1,300 miles northwest from Oahu to Midway to market the 70th anniversary of the pivotal battle....".    To market it?  I know the writer intended to say "mark" the battle.  The error is just the kind my aging fingers would make.  But it gave me pause.


I am almost certain that the vast majority of the errors I see can be attributed to trust in spellcheck functions and increasingly frenzied demands for content with fewer eyes to review what's put up.  In the scale of 'what's really important' I don't know that typos rank very high. I can imagine situations where they might, however.  Regardless, I am saddened that writing seems less like a carefully crafted,  thoughtful act.   That may reflect a loss that is genuine.  Vast amounts of content; less and less of it created with care.

Comments

Popular Posts