Beirut & Bayreuth-redux

So I got a single comment on my post yesterday. The writer noted that the two cities' names were pronounced differently. That's a good point in that the 'apparent' similarity may partly be the vagaries of English spelling conventions applied to foreign words. But I then took a step which would have been sensible before writing. I looked up the source for Beirut, Lebanon. The site http://www.statoids.com/ulb.html provides the following: "From Hebrew be'erot: the wells". Seems reasonable but clearly would have no relation to the German name which is discussed on this site http://www.ngw.nl/int/dld/b/bayreuth.htm . The assertion here is that the heraldic images for the city from the 15th Century show crossed "reut" a farmer's sticklike tool, and that, thereby, the name comes from these symbols.

Hafta admit I find this kind of thing fascinating. Used to get caught up in reading page after page of the dictionary when I was younger.

Comments

pril said…
etymology is kinda fun. I took German as a kid and wondered about the same thing you did but never asked about it or dug into it. Beirut was in the news a lot, too, back then. I suppose I never asked because it wouldn't have been very cool of me, despite the burning word geek that lived in me and only came out at home when no one was around to watch me read encyclopedias.

Popular Posts