This morning's paper had sad news. Clive Charles, legendary soccer coach at U of P died this week- age 51- from prostate cancer. He is well loved, respected, and will be missed immensely. Friday, his jersey, #3, will be retired by the Portland Timbers. The first jersey number to be so treated. It's chilling to realize how young he was- younger than I am! And it reminds me of the death of my friend, Bill Brod, in 2000 from the same disease. When did I get my last PSA test? Good lord.

At about 2am this morning, Mars passed closer to Earth than its been since human civilizations arose. 60,000 years! We've been watching it for several nights from the back porch, though last night it was partly cloudy in East County. The brightness is notable- and wondrous. Perhaps I'll remember to get the binocs out tonight and look through them- it will only be a little farther away. In solar system terms that is.

Comments

Popular Posts